Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Blog About Twitter

After using twitter for the first time yesterday, I enjoyed it somewhat more than a blackboard discussion in terms of communication. Twitter felt instantaneous, as the twitter app was downloaded onto my smartphone, I would get real time notifications on tweets that were posted from the people that I followed or were following me (my classmates), I also got these same notifications if someone was responding to one of my tweets. I really found that to be convenient, on our black board website, we don’t really know what’s going on within the black board thread until we log in and see for ourselves. We do not receive a notification of who has responded to the thread or our own comments until we take the time out to have a look. I really enjoyed this feature in Twitter because I felt like I was a part of the conversation in real time, rather than just posting up my response. I was actually seeing a live online class assignment taking place in front of my eyes. I also like that there are other Twitter features available that make assignments more fun, exciting, and challenging such as the 140 character limit, it pushes one to really think, so that the one sentence that is created is meaningful and packed with quality.


If I were to compare Twitter to an in-class discussion, I would perhaps favor Twitter more. Twitter provides students and their teacher or professor, the opportunity to talk and discuss about topics and information that go beyond the four walls of a classroom. All of a sudden, conversations can be carried out at home, at work, and during free times to discuss assignments, difficult topics, and project delegation. Twitter provides a novel flexibility that a time constrained classroom cannot. Also, sometimes, people may feel less shy behind a social media account rather than in person, face to face communications. Folks can be more open and feel more comfortable about asking and answering questions on social media such as Twitter than they would be in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment